Monday, November 26, 2007

Review -- LUNARTHEORY -- Self Titled

LUNARTHEORY
Self-titled
Independent
4.5-out-of-10

Welcome to the syrupy world of electronic infused pop. Please be aware you might O.D. on sugar here.
LunaTheory is the work of Jared Robinson a Saskatchewan artist who should be commented at least for the effort put into this self-titled release.
Robinson composed the material here, and he performs everything on the CD too, laying down his own guitar, bass, keyboard, and drum tracks. He is also the CD's producer. To put such effort into a project speaks to Robinson's desire as an artist to have his music captured on CD, and to have it shared with an audience.
The problem is, I'm not sure who that audience is. I'm a long way removed from my early teens when sugary sounding pop was of interest. To my mind this is sort of The Partridge family meets electronica, and it is a meeting my ears could simply have done without.
The effort to do it all impresses me, but the results are far, far, far from my cup of tea. If you want to check it out I'd suggest an Internet listen to a song, or two, before taking the plunge to spend money on this one. Check it out at www.myspace.com/lunartheory
-- CALVIN DANIELS

-- Review first appeared in Yorkton This Week newspaper Nov 21, 2007 - Yorkton, SK. Canada

No comments: