Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Review -- THE GRASS -- Report All Ghosts

REPORT ALL GHOSTS
The Grass
Independent
7.5-out-of-10
The Grass, well the band name had me thinking bluegrass, then Crossfire the CD's first cut starts spinning, and there's a sort of Beatles/Monkees feel to the music. I do a double-take and head into the unknown.
This is The Grass' third CD effort, and it really is like taking a trip back in time, with music that has a sort of psychedelic, the '60s meets the '70s, with a little bit of everything tossed in.
The cut Jesus is a revival-beat, gospel, bluegrass, 1960's concoction, which like a lot of songs from an early time carries with it an anti-war sentiment which still holds as relevant today.
I do like they toss in some of the bluegrass I had thought about from the title, such as the cut Shiny New Rifle.
The Grass does seem like a band caught out of time. They really would fit in about 40 years ago, yet in keeping true to that earlier time, there is a sort of retro-renewed freshness to what this band is now doing. For myself it's a trip back to the days I was just sort of becoming aware there was music, having been born in 1960. That makes this a more enjoyable excursion I am sure.
Dartmouth, NS, guitarist/bassist Nicholas Wolfe is the band's founder, hooking up initially with singer/songwriter Patrick McNally, and the pair would over time flesh out the seven-member retro- music band.
So what are the best cuts here? With so many genres intermingling here, I rather expect every listener will settle on a different song as best, depending just where their own musical roots are. In my mind that is one of the true strengths of this CD. In my case I like the cut Down On The Water best, a high energy (think Rolling Stones) cut. Follow Your Heart follows that same style too.
Fresh enough in a retro way to highly recommend. Check them out at www.thegrass.ca
-- CALVIN DANIELS

-- Review first appeared in Yorkton This Week newspaper April 9, 2008 - Yorkton, SK. Canada

No comments: