Saturday, September 27, 2008

Review -- CHRISTA COUTURE -- The Wedding Singer and the Undertaker

The WEDDING SINGER and the UNDERTAKER
Christa Couture
Independent
5.5-out-of-10
I have often written about how important the first song on a CD is to catch the attention of listeners, especially radio programmers who are inundated with material. It is a lesson Christa Couture has not yet learned.
The opening cut on the CD The Wedding Singer and the Undertaker is called Sad Story Over, and the real sadness is that the song wasn't over sooner.
Born in Edmonton, Couture is a folk rocker, with closer ties to folk lyrically. It's a style that usually grabs me, but I have to admit her mezzo-soprano voice just doesn't work in this format for me.
For the most part Couture writes a fairly creative song, with some nice turns of phrases, but musically I'm not in sync with her sound. I do get the feeling in a coffee house setting she might be stronger.
I also think she may have benefited from a male voice on a few songs as a counterpoint.
However, one isn't really reviewing what might be, as it stands this is one I'd have to suggest a pass on unless you are a huge fan of folk sang at the higher range of the female voice.
You can check her out at www.christacouture.com
-- CALVIN DANIELS

-- Review first appeared in Yorkton This Week newspaper Sept. 24, 2008 - Yorkton, SK. Canada

No comments: