Friday, July 10, 2009

Review -- CARVELLI -- The Movement

THE MOVEMENT
Carvelli
Independent
??-out-of-10

You will notice the question marks in place of an actual rating for Carvelli's CD The Movement. There is a reason for that. I simply do not how to rate this one.
I am not sure how this CD compares to others of a similar genre because this is a rap album, one of about only three musical styles which I avoid at nearly all costs, so I have almost zero experience with the style. I can assure you this effort hasn't changed my mind on that stance either.
That said I will give Carvelli credit. He is a Canadian of Italian descent, who is mixing his culture into his music. I am not sure there are a lot of Italian rappers out there, but Carvelli is fusing his culture and the musical style.
It's always impressive when a musician forges into an area the music has not substantially been before.
Like most rap, there is a beat here, and that's good, and the lyrics may well resonate with many listeners, but the rap style doesn't sell it to me.
Interesting for his approach, this remains a rap CD, and thus should likely only be sought out by fans of that genre.
Check it out at /www.carvelli.com
-- CALVIN DANIELS

-- Review first appeared in Yorkton This Week newspaper July 1, 2009 - Yorkton, SK. Canada

No comments: