Friday, October 2, 2009

Review -- BLUESTONE -- Bar Room Revelations

BAR ROOM REVELATIONS
Bluestone
Independent
7.5-out-of-10

If you were among the wise and fortunate to be at Rayzr's Pub in the Yorkton Hotel Sept. 11, then you will know Bluestone is a rock/blues band that can really cut loose.
The band actually toured through Rayzr's in the fall of 2008 on tour in support of the disk Start What You Finished. I liked that disk a lot – 8.5-out-of-10. It was a bluesy rock effort powered by the amazing vocals of Angie Russell.
The band is now back with a sophomore effort EP.
To start with, I truly am not a huge fan of EPs. I want the full deal. As a second disk I like them even less. I can appreciate the desire to get product ready for a tour, but I want a band to come back with a full plate when they go to the recording studio the second time.
As a result, what I hear here is a good start to a full CD.
The music is different from the first CD. There is more rock, and less blues. That is probably wise in a bar. I miss the blues though.
Bar Room Revelations also takes a different path vocally. Where the first CD tended to highlight Angie on certain songs, and brother Ben on others, here the two join forces more often. They don't really do a lot of harmony, but both get to shine on the same song. That is a nice touch, although truthfully Angie's voice is still the big hook for Bluestone.
The best cut here is Wait. It is the bluesiest number, so you know it will catch my ear most.
No Rest is a close second. It is the most powerful song, and really brings both Angie and Ben to the forefront with powerful vocal efforts.
A solid step, although I hope the blues reasserts itself a bit more on future efforts.
Still there is enough here to but it on the player often.
Check them out at www.bluestoneband.ca
-- CALVIN DANIELS

-- Review first appeared in Yorkton This Week newspaper Sept. 23, 2009 - Yorkton, SK. Canada

No comments: