Sunday, March 28, 2010

Review -- THE DAVID LIBERTY BAND -- Objects In The Mirror

OBJECTS IN MIRRORS
The David Liberty Band
Indie
4-out-of-10

When the staple of your music reviews are indie releases you are never exactly sure what you are getting as you spin a new disk.
I had not heard of The David Liberty Band before getting Objects in Mirrors, so I popped on line to www.davidliberty.com to check him out. Seeing the recording was his third CD I was expecting something pretty solid.
Then the lead song; I’m Irked played, and the song really summed up my reaction. I am a stickler that the first song you hear be a good one. It sets the mood for any listener, and is critical to catch the ear of a radio programmer, or reviewer. Well I’m Irked caught my attention for its repetitious, grade school quality lyrics. It took some amount of good conscience on my part as a reviewer to not turn the CD off at that point. It is among the weakest songs I’ve heard on a disk in well ... ever and I’ve been reviewing for years.
David Liberty at times simply tries too hard lyrically. He wants to get a message across, but the delivery just never seems to work.
The music is simple. He clearly wants the lyrics to be paramount, but it just never comes together for me.
Mark this one at best an acquired taste, and in my case, not my taste at all.
CALVIN DANIELS

-- Review first appeared in Yorkton This Week newspaper Feb 24, 2010 - Yorkton, SK. Canada

No comments: