Monday, May 17, 2010

Review -- JIMMY AND THE SLEEPERS -- Self-Titled

SELF-TITLED
Jimmy and the Sleepers
Indie
5.5-out-of-10

Jimmy and the Sleepers is a blues unit out of Edmonton.
The leader is guitarist Jimmy Guiboche, although the vocal lead is carried by Guy ‘Big Guy Slim’ Gagne.
The band is rounded out with David ‘Crawdad’ Cantera, Chris Brzezicki and Grant Stovel.
The disk was actually recorded some time ago, but just came my way recently, and as a blues lover, I have to give it a mention.
As a collection this is all right, although nothing exactly reached out and grabbed me.
Gagne’s vocals are frankly not my cup of tea. He’s in there pitching on every cut, but his voice just doesn’t quite do it.
I also found some of the song selections less than ideal to my mind. Oopin Doopin Doopin by George Smith is just a bad song.
The rendition of Come On missed too.
One little addition of note to the recording is Big Dave McLean adding vocals on Not Gettin’ Up.
While this is my beloved blues, and from a Western Canadian band, there isn’t enough here to highly recommend it. There are better disks out there to spend your blues dollar on.
Check them out at www.myspace.com/jimmyandthesleepers
CALVIN DANIELS
-- Review first appeared in Yorkton This Week newspaper April 21, 2010 - Yorkton, SK. Canada

No comments: