Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Review -- OHAMA -- Earth History Multiambient

EARTH HISTORY MULTIAMBIENT
Ohama
Indie
5-out-of-10

All right, let's preface this with a note that I think I learned something with Tona Walt Ohama's Earth History CD, I am not a particularly big fan of what the artist terms electronic synthpop.
Now maybe I am missing something here, but what I end up hearing is rather bland, repetitious music which might find a home in an occasional elevator music loop.
A case in point is the opening song on disk #1, entitled Hello, appropriate when you consider the word 'hello' is probably used a hundred-plus times in the near five-minute song.
OMG isn't much different with "Oh My God" used over and over and over and … well you get the idea.
I can see the Alberta musician cringe, but this is very much an acquired taste.
When Ohama goes strictly ambient on Earth and Rebirth it’s better, although by then I had basically lost interest.
Now if you like this sort of music then Earth History is a good value, as a three-disk set. But, if you don't like it, it just extends the tedium.
Check it out at www.facebook.com/pages/Tona-Walt-Ohama
CALVIN DANIELS
-- Review first appeared in Yorkton This Week newspaper Mar 16, 2011 - Yorkton, SK. Canada

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you listen to Ohama's "I know who Killed the Planet..(It was me)".

No repeats there,completely original.
It's brilliant, the song of 2011!

Check it out if you can,

--breathnatsuko